This is just a quick post to let all you folks out there in queer women’s literary land that there is a new lesbrarian in town, and she’s reviewing and talking about queer books (mostly lesbian/bi/queer women’s books, but occasionally GBQ men as well) in the form of a podcast, called Queer Books Please. Podcasts in general are new to me, but I’m glad I’ve tried out this new genre, for a few reasons: one, it’s a nice change for someone who reads as much as I do to give my eyes a rest and my ears some exercise; two, Mary reviews quite a wide variety of books, and does a thorough and excellent job of it. In fact, she deals with a much larger range of books than I do, so if you’re hankering to hear about some romance, mystery, fantasy, and science fiction, I definitely recommend checking out her stuff. I particularly enjoyed episode 18, where Mary discusses and possibly invents a new sub-genre called Pansexual-Mannerspunk. Her approach is quite casual, and she often focuses on how the book personally affected her; in a way, it’s like having a one-sided conversation with a friend who’s telling you about a book they recently read. If you want to know more about Mary, you should also check out this interview with her on the lesbrary (interviewed by Rie of Friend of Dorothy Wilde).
- My 2018 Year in Reading: Favourite Books of the Year, Most Memorable Character, Best Cover, and More!
- The 10 Best Queer Books of 2018 (that I read, at least)
- Not as Scary As I Hoped, but Cute Lesbians?: A Review of THE DARK BENEATH THE ICE by Amelinda Bérubé
- Delicious Italian Food and a Lack of Cohesion: A Review of Monica Meneghetti’s WHAT THE MOUTH WANTS
- “My bindi tells me where I’m from / my bindi reminds me of my mom”: A Review of Vivek Shraya’s Gender-Diverse Picture Book THE BOY & THE BINDI
- On page 55 of 358 of Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo goodreads.com/user_status/sh… 10 hours ago
- 3 of 5 stars to Saga, Vol. 8 by Brian K. Vaughan goodreads.com/review/show/26… 13 hours ago
- @brittashipsit @AvidReaderBlog Seriously that's like the highest praise for a librarian 😊 14 hours ago
- RT @Bina_ReadThis: Doggies, a mystery bookshop, Black woman detective and granny sidekick! Recommended📚💖👇 twitter.com/vmburns/status… 15 hours ago
- @brittashipsit @AvidReaderBlog Aw so happy to hear that! 😁 15 hours ago